02 June 2012
Well well well, once again, the second game in a row, New Jersey sacrafices the first goal in the first period, only to tie the game on a re-directed puck, to fall in overtime to the Kings. Drew Doughty broke through nearly 8 minutes into the period to put the Kings up by one early, and, for the majority of the game until Devils' fourth liner Ryan Carter put the blade of his stick in the right place at the right time, steering a Marek Zidlicky shot into the ice surface as it skiddered and bounced its way past Quick, who, on his one blemish of the evening, was NOT Quick enough. The game would be capped off on a relentless effort by former Flyer Jeff Carter who worked his way all the way around the offensive zone, behind the net, back out in front to bury it through a screened Brodeur, short side, to propel the Los Angeles Kings to a second consecutive 2-1 overtime victory in the Cup Finals over your New Jersey Devils to take a 2-0 series lead, heading back to LA for game three, Monday. Shots were 33-32 New Jersey; Both teams went scoreless on their powerplay opportunities (NJ: 0-4/ LA: 0-2) where as New Jersey out hit the Kings 35-32 in 67:18 minutes of play. Quick, as Brodeur, both had their share of highlight reel saves throughout the game, including MORE missed opportunities by the Devils. The New Jersey Devils heading into game three MUST, in order to win, must:
- Shoot the puck more. (The Devils took 33 shots in G2, 16 more shots than in G1)
- Continue to play 5 on 5 hockey.
- Tighten up on the defensive aspect of the game. (They cant allow a defenseman like Drew Doughty to nearly go coast to coast and score high short side on Marty; allowing breakaways in overtime periods, WILL lead to bad news (G1, Anze Kopitar GWG))
- Shoot high! Plain and simple...
- Get guys in front of the net, seems to be the only way to squeek one past Quick thus far.
Game 3 will be played Monday evening in Los Angeles, California in the Staples Center, 8pm on NBC. The Devils are currently down 2 games to none and are in a MUST-WIN situation heading into enemy territory after dropping games 1 & 2 on relativly quiet home ice. On a lighter note, be sure you follow the @RWTDblog on twitter: @RealScottRobb, @DEVIN88MATTERA, and @Rvaidya33. Check out "Running With The Devils" on facebook, too! From all of us at Running With The Devils, I'm Devin Mattera, you stay classy Devils fans!
|< Prev||Next >|